minetest.rotate_and_place(itemstack, placer, pointed_thing, infinitestacks, orient_flags)
Attempts to predict the desired orientation of the facedir-capable node defined by itemstack, and places it accordingly (on-wall, on the floor, or hanging from the ceiling). Stacks are handled normally if the infinitestacks field is false or omitted (else, the itemstack is not changed). orient_flags is an optional table containing extra tweaks to the placement code:
- invert_wall: if true, place wall-orientation on the ground and ground-orientation on the wall.
- force_wall: if true, always place the node in wall orientation.
- force_ceiling: if true, always place on the ceiling.
- force_floor: if true, always place the node on the floor.
The above four options are mutually-exclusive; the last in the list takes precedence over the first.
- force_facedir: if true, forcefully reset the facedir to north when placing on the floor or ceiling
This article is missing examples, feel free to add them.