[DONE] More mod pages
Can you please add the following pages to the mod section to make them more visible in the wiki?:
Delete stuff redundant to lua_api.txt
A huge chunk of this wiki is just repeating lua_api.txt. This is pointlessly redundant and inconsistent. Users are fooled into thinking this wiki might be official documentation.
I propose to delete all pages which only contain information aready explained in depth in lua_api.txt. Who agrees?
- I redirected myself to lua_api.txt after reading your message. I find it really painful to navigate but it is indeed more complete. As you wrote I thought dev.minetest.net was an official documentation.
- An other disadvantage is that it cannot be changed that easily when something is missing or unclear, you have to go through the whole commit and merge things.
- But on the other side it is embedded in the project and can be more consistent on releases and WIP versions (not messing about which version does the wiki page refer to). And mods can follow the same documentation scheme.
- I thought about documentation generators to have nice html pages but I find it a bad good idea. It requires more tools that modders probably won't use, makes the actual code explode in size and functions are spread in builtin and games and mods etc)
- I'm for redirecting to lua_api (or other doc files) when the doc is already there to avoid duplicates. The file could be enhanced but that's not the topic here.
- If the choice is to open tickets to suggest documentation changes, the page could be completely deleted to make clear this wiki is not about documenting functions and objects.
- --Karamel (talk) 10:50, 11 June 2018 (UTC)